I found this advent calendar some years ago when I was on a mission for the LDS church in Colorado. I have always wanted to share this with my family and friends but never seemed to find the right way to do it.

I want to share this with all of you as part of my testimony of Jesus Christ.

This time of year seems to deviate further from the true meaning of Christmas as people become more focused on the worldly part of the holiday season. Myself included. I find myself engulfed in the stress of giving the right gift, trimming the tree and doing all those things that encompass this time of year, when our true focus should be on the birth and life of Jesus Christ.

Now, I'm not saying that St. Nick is a bad guy, he himself has explained what the symbols of Christmas mean (teach the children). We forget that the greatest gift we could have ever received was from God, Our Father in Heaven. That gift was Jesus Christ.

I'd like to think across every Christian religion it is common that we claim Christ as our Savior and Redeemer. It is through Him that we return to the loving arms of our Father in Heaven after this life.

It is through Christ's ministry that we learn how to lead our lives, how to BE CHRISTIANS. He was our greatest example of love, patience, charity, forgiveness and ultimately sacrifice.
Christ died so that we may live.

No matter what religion you are, or what beliefs you have, my hope is that you can use the teachings of Christ to epitomize how you lead your life.

I know that Jesus is my Savior. I am in need of His saving grace every day.

Take this advent calendar and use it. Not just this time of year but all year round. Become acquainted with Christ, not just as your Savior but as your brother, your friend. Speak to Him. He awaits your call. He's there to listen.

Monday 16 December 2013

December 16th

Jesus came to lift our burdens. One of the heaviest burdens we carry is that of hate. In teaching us to forgive, the Lord set us free.

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

"Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven" (Matt. 18:21-22).

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

"But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matt. 6:14-15).

"Behold I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you" (3 Ne. 12:44).

Suggested Activity:
Try to forgive someone who has wronged you. If appropriate, go to him today and be reconciled.

Song of the Day:
 "Did You Think to Pray?" Hymns, no. 140.
http://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/did-you-think-to-pray?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment